Friday, June 16, 2006

An Extra Weekend Day

Well, the universe certainly has smiled on me this week.

One of my co-workers was sick yesterday, so I was called in to work for him last night. In return, I got to take today, which is normally the "Monday" of my work week, off! I'll take this opportunity to tell you that, as much as I love my job and the decadence of having two mid-week days off, there is something a little tragic about having your work week start on Friday when everyone else in the world is gearing up for their weekends. But no tragedy for me today. Plus, since I didn't have to go work until 7:00 last night, yesterday was, for all intent and purposes, still an intact day off. So I have had three days of leisure! And what, might you ask, have I done with my bonus hours of me-time? Well, since I worked until 3:00 in the morning, I have spent a good part of today asleep. But I also took a mid-afternoon run in the sunshine and have been basking in the knowledge that the day is my own.

In a little while I'm going to meet Wendy for a cocktail at the Hemlock Tavern before we go to the Jacksnack Photo Attack (credit where credit is due: Erin came up with that name for Jack's photo show). There's a party after that, but since I really do have to go to work tomorrow, I may skip that. My partying stamina is not what it used to be, let alone my ability to bounce back and be productive at work the next day.

In other sassy happenings... In case you hadn't noticed, I'm a little bit of a music fan. So when I learned that Favorite Bar has employed the services of a disc jockey to play music from the 60's, 70's or 80's on Tuesday evenings, I was cautiously intrigued. That sort of thing could either be great or go horribly awry. Well, one night, Sebastian, the bartender who seems to be in charge of this whole shebang, told me that if I have any music requests, I should email them to him and he would pass them on to his trusty wax spinner. This past Tuesday was 70's night, and I sent Sebastian a list of about 12 songs or so. Fair enough. But next Tuesday will feature 80's music, and in an effort to protect the world from a noxious assault of Madonna, Bon Jovi, Lionel Ritchie and Def Leopard, I put together a comprehensive list of 80's music that actually matters. I'm not sure exactly how many songs I came up with, but the list I sent him Wednesday night was five and a half pages. Single spaced. Imagine Madness, The Clash, The English Beat, Marshall Crenshaw, The Housemartins, The Go-Go's, The Jam, Icicle Works, The Pixies, Elvis Costello, Fun Boy Three, Strawberry Switchblade... Oh, I could go on. And on, believe me. And I've already thought of about 15 more tunes I egregiously omitted (how could I think an 80's playlist would be complete without the Plimsouls, Julian Cope, Joe Jackson or the maestros known as Flesh For Lulu?), so Sebastian is about to get an addendum.

And I'm already thinking about my 60's requests for the following Tuesday. That's likely to be a long list, too.

Poor Sebastian, little did he know he was unleashing the beast. I bet he'll never solicit song requests from me again. People really should be careful when they talk to me about music.

No comments: