Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Those Were the Days

I must say, present day is treating me rather well. After a wonderfully relaxing weekend, I went out after work last night to sing songs, as I do most every Monday night. On this particular Monday, however, my friend Angie also was celebrating her birthday, which made the songs a little more festive and caused the evening to run a little later than a normal Monday of singing.

I also drank a little more than I should on any given school night and am a tad tired, as a consequence.

The rest of the week will be a bit more mellow before what should be a fantastic weekend of more singing, my friend Roland's birthday barbecue, live music, Margarita Club and maybe even some vintage clothes shopping. Oh, and last week I was summoned for jury duty, but I never actually had to go to the courtroom. After five days of checking to see if I needed to report, I was able to consider my jury service completed. Now, that is my kind of jury duty.

For some reason, all these good times today are reminding me of fun times in the past. So I offer you, dear readers, this walk down Sassyland Memory Lane:

In 1974 I was the flower girl in a wedding. My mother's friend Rhonda was getting married and apparently trusted me not to fall while I carried this basket of flowers.

I mentioned in my last post that I was a Girl Scout way back when. Here's proof (can you find me?). This photo was taken in 1980 or '81.

Jumping ahead in time a bit... When I was a junior in college I took a semester abroad and studied in Scotland. One weekend during that time in 1991, all the Brown University students studying in the United Kingdom gathered in Wales for a little excursion. And to stand on the edge of this bluff.

After I graduated from Brown, I continued living in Rhode Island. With all due respect to the Ocean State, I didn't last long and couldn't wait to hightail it back to California after just over four years. On the day before I returned west in November 1996, I enjoyed a farewell champagne brunch with some of my closest friends at the Providence Biltmore hotel. Do we look happily sated in this picture?

Christmas 2001. Big, multi-racial families like mine are the best.

I like this photo from my birthday party in 2002 because my friend Daryl looks like he is channeling Lenny Kravitz.

I am hardly fat now, but I don't think I will ever be this thin again. I almost look downright bony. This is my friend Renee and me posing at our friend Melissa's wedding in 2003. I still have that dress I'm wearing. I wonder if it still fits...

No comments: