Saturday, November 05, 2011

Everests


Some songs are easy to sing, some are a little harder, and then there are those I consider to be my "Everests". One such tune is Fiona Apple's "Fast As You Can," which I have been practicing at home and tried for the first time in karaoke the other night. It's not that this tune takes significant vocal ability, but the timing is a bitch. The lyrics move very quickly and if you pause or breathe in the wrong place, the song mercilessly will leave you behind. Plus, Fiona Apple has a very low voice, and even I, a card-carrying alto, may have to move the key up a bit before I sing "Fast As You Can" in public again.

All of this is to say that my first pass at it was okay, but I need to work on it some more.

Then there are my other "Everests". A week ago I started working on "Natural Woman" and "Goldfinger" with my voice teacher. We moved both of numbers down a bit to help the high notes fit my range, and they may well turn out okay with more work. A lot more. And once I really learn the melodies.

Finally, there is "The Man That Got Away," a song made famous by Judy Garland in A Star is Born. I probably don't need to say any more other than I must be crazy to think I'll ever be able to sing this. I have the music and a recording of Judy, though, so we'll see. I have no intention of even attempting to sound like her; I just hope the song doesn't beat me into a pulp while I try to master it.

I love my little singing hobby. One day I may actually become a real singer...or at least a reasonable facsimile.

No comments: