Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Welcome, 2013

I'm not going to insult you, dear readers, by even attempting to apologize for how much I have neglected this little chronicle since summertime. I have come to accept the fact that I'm a fair-weather blogger, and I shouldn't waste your time making excuses. With a new year comes new promise, however, and I was inspired to wander over here and post something today after reading my friend Ann's blog, which is kind of the best thing ever. I can't say when I'll post again, but we won't worry about that right now.

So without further ado, here's a photo summary of the last third of my 2012. I hope last year treated you well, and since the Mayan calendar was wrong (or misinterpreted, I should say), and we're all still here...I wish you all the best for 2013.

September meant another trip to Hawaii because, you know, travelling to Hawaii is what I do. I snapped this shot at Ala Moana Park one evening just as the sun was beginning to set.

In October I went to see Adam Ant, whose music I loved in junior high and high school. Oh, who am I kidding? Songs like "Antmusic", "Stand and Deliver" and "Prince Charming" still hold prominent positions in my iPod. Anyway, Adam put on a great, if fascinating, show. Still working that early 80's sex appeal, he has become the Tom Jones of New Wave.

I am a huge baseball fan, but it had never occurred to me to try to...say...go to a World Series game until this year. It didn't hurt that the Giants swept the Detroit Tigers in four games to win the Fall Classic.

And speaking of baseball, I managed to develop quite a healthy fan crush on Giants center fielder Angel Pagan this year, even though I know he's happily married (and eleven and a half years younger than me, thank you very much). I'm not trying to date the guy, but I was thrilled to meet him at an autograph event in early November, where I got to talk to him for about fifteen seconds and pose for this photo. It was absolutely worth the hour and a half I spent in line for the opportunity. I'm being serious when I say that.

No, I did not win an Emmy this year, but the Emmy I'm holding is real. My friend Danie won it a few years ago, and she kindly let me pose with it at her Christmas party so I could pretend that I am someone.

The last day of the Mayan calendar just happened to be my birthday, so a bunch of friends and I gathered at my favorite karaoke haunt that night to sing it out for the end of the world. I look like some kind of real singer or something, don't I? 

The end of the world karaoke celebrants were a colorful bunch...

And we enjoyed being in photos.

2012 had to come to an end eventually, and that it did last night. In my usual fashion, I stayed out to celebrate until approximately 12:15 a.m. so that I could ring in the new year and still get home at a decent hour. A few of us posed for this shot in the first minutes of 2013. Let's hope we all stay as happy this year as we look in the photo.

No comments: