Thursday, January 03, 2008

What's Up With This?

Mere days after shaking off a nasty case of bronchitis, I appear to be sick again. Yes, you read that correctly: I get over one virus (turned bacterial infection), only to pick up another. In this instance, it seems only to be a head cold, but still. Do I have no immune system at all?

Frankly, I blame the petri dish I call my place of employment. We work in what is essentially one big room, which doubles as a playhouse for viruses and other germs. We all disinfect our work stations, but sometimes that just doesn't cut it. Especially since we all are often guilty of working while we're sick. At least two of my co-workers did that over the last week (you know who you are), and I did it when I had bronchitis.

Well, it's time to stop the madness. I'm taking tomorrow off so I can recuperate and spare my uninfected co-workers this bug.

Before I was felled by this particular disease, I managed to check out my friend Beth's book reading at City Lights in North Beach last night. Beth's new book chronicles the year she spent meeting various self-help gurus, and the results are hysterical. At least the chapter from which she read was hysterical. But then, Beth's writing is always entertaining. She's also having a book release party this weekend, and I'm going to try to go. Should my congested head allow such a thing.

Stupid cold. Have I ever mentioned that I hate being sick?

Other than last night's book reading, not much is happening. That's often the case in January, also known as The Most Boring Month of the Year. February ranks a close second in the boredom tournament, but at least February features Valentine's Day and my sister's birthday. Plus, it's the shortest month of the year, which makes it infinitely more tolerable than the never-ending January.

I guess I shouldn't say that nothing is going on. I'm currently on the hunt for a new singing teacher, and I already have booked a lesson with one I'm considering. I enjoyed the teaching of Best Friend, but she lives and teaches so far away that, including travel time, my singing lesson would eat up my entire day. To that end, I'm looking for music instruction a little closer to home. I haven't had a singing lesson since October; so I'm overdue. Besides, I've found more songs I want to sing at open mics or other performances (should Rosa be willing to play them). Maybe one day I'll write my own songs. Huh. What a concept.

In addition to my music focus, I've just booked a flight for another mini-vacation in L.A. three weeks from now. So many friends to see and my Pinkberry gift card to use... I love my trips to the City of Angels. Hopefully this one will make January a little more palatable.

No comments: