Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Sin City and Singing Songs

I don't know how warm it is where you are, but in San Francisco right now the conditions are downright Arctic. Okay, perhaps I exaggerate, but this summer has been particularly chilly, even for the City by the Bay. So to escape from the misery of donning fall and winter clothing in August (honestly), I shall regale you with tales from my annual summertime trip to Las Vegas, where the temperatures are hot and the action hotter.

Or something like that.

My friend Andrey celebrates his birthday in Las Vegas every year, and I am lucky enough to be invited. There is always sunshine, mayhem, a little bit of gambling and a theme night. Yes, a theme night. This year the theme was "James Bond," and the above photo showcases the outfits a few of us put together do Vegas 007-style. My idea was go all-gold in honor of Goldfinger, my favorite James Bond film. It really is the only good one.

Of course Las Vegas isn't only about James Bond. In fact, for most people it isn't about James Bond at all, but whatever. For me it was mostly about luxuriating at the Mirage Spa after my daily workouts (yes, I exercised in Vegas), playing the penny slots and actually winning a little bit of money here and there, delicious meals and poolside cocktails. All of us enjoyed the Mirage pool at one point or another during our stay, as evidenced above. We pretty much had to; it was about 105 degrees, after all. Basically, revelry and decadence dominated our stay. I'd tell you more, but as you know, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

There was no time for lollygagging upon my return to the cool Bay Area, however, because my band, Sober Nixon, had a show at Cafe Royale the day after I got back. Don't we look like some kind of real band in this picture? We were the only act on the bill that night and basically had two hours we could fill. We only know about an hour and ten minutes worth of material, though, so that's how long the performance was. I'd say it went well, and I look forward to playing there again one day. I'm also getting excited to book more shows for us. We are only a cover band, which can be a bit of a challenge to market, but I have big plans. Big plans for hobbyist musicians who all have other jobs, that is.

I'll never quit my day job to pack up and go on tour, but if people come to listen and sing along when Sober Nixon plays, I'll be as happy as any rock star out there.

No comments: