Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Short Attention Span Internet

I am not the blogger I used to be. I used to update this little chronicle twice a week without fail, and now... well, you can see evidence of what a slacker I've become. I've said this before, and I'll say it again: I blame Facebook and Twitter (okay, and myself). I've been home all day today without much to do, and only now have I turned to my trusty Sassy space and begun to write.

However, I have posted several "tweets" and checked Facebook three times already. It's because tweets and Facebook status updates are short by design and take less commitment. But you know, that's kind of sad. I have no intention of deleting my Facebook or Twitter accounts, but it's a little pathetic when I spend more time on certain websites because they require less investment.

At this rate, I'll have absolutely no attention span by about the year 2012.

Anyway, I was home all day today because I am, once again, sick. I just had a chest cold about five or six weeks ago, but apparently, my body liked it so much, it invited another virus over to play. Annoying. I have recruited my couch, a couple of Gilmore Girls dvd box sets and an army of Zicam chews and Mucinex tablets to help coax me back to good health. So far, it seems to be working.

Aside from my infirm condition, some fun things have been happening. Last Saturday, I went to this new Moroccan restaurant with about 20 others to celebrate my friend Katya's birthday. Not only is the food there delicious, but every night at 10:00, the place turns into a disco. And these people are serious. The hosts and wait staff all but push you out of your seat (very politely, mind you), as they whisk the tables away and adjust the lighting to accommodate dancing, as opposed to eating. I must admit, the music was not to my liking; so I left soon after the dancing began, but it's still a neat idea.

Things with Sober Nixon, my "band," are going very well, too. No, I still don't write songs, but I keep promising myself I'll start. In the meantime, we've added some new tunes to our repertoire of covers, including "Be My Baby," "You Can't Hurry Love," "He's a Rebel" and the one I'm most excited about: "I Say Nothing," a song originally by a band called Voice of the Beehive. Hopefully, we'll be able to play all of these at open mic on Sunday. Providing we master them by then. And providing my chest cold will allow me to sing. We're also going to work out Pete Yorn's "Just Another" for future open mic performances. And one day I will write a song. Truly, I will...

No comments: