Monday, April 23, 2012

Endless Rock Stars

Last Thursday I did the most fun thing in the world: I went to see Madness in concert. I'd seen the second wave ska kings, whose heyday was in the late 70's and early 80's, once before in 2006, but apparently I had forgotten how great they are live. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen...from guys who have been performing for 30 years. I guess they know what they're doing.

Over the next several months I'll be bouncing between L.A. and the Bay Area to take in shows by a few other ageless rock stars, including Squeeze, the Go-Go's and the Psychedelic Furs. Based on that list, you'd think it was still the late 70's or early 80's.

Make no mistake, I also like quite a bit of new music. Just the other day I picked up a copy of the Shins new album; I become a bigger fan of Fitz and the Tantrums with every passing moment; I downloaded tunes by Fun. and Gotye from iTunes last night; and I go see local bands here in San Francisco on a regular basis.

However, as much as I like new music, I love that the musical heroes from childhood have taken a never-say-die attitude and continue to tour.

1 comment:

Ravi Akula said...

Thanks for sharing

http://chroniclesofraviakula.blogspot.com/