Monday, January 30, 2006

Music That's Making Me Happy Today, vol. 1

"Hitsville U.K" by the Clash
Is this the best song by the Clash? Who knows, and frankly, who could take on the daunting task of picking the "best" song by that band? I wouldn't even want to try. But this gem from Sandinista! should have a place in everyone's iPod. I just put it in mine, and it has given my jogging soundtrack a serious boost.

"Daydream Believer" by the Monkees
Written by John Stewart, this pure pop confection could give you an auditory toothache, but it would be the best kind. Mike Nesmith may have been the Monkee with the most actual musical talent, but Davy Jones was the cutest one (and when you're a little girl watching afternoon "Monkees" re-runs... cute goes a long way). And Jones handles the vocals on this tune with his own brand of teen-idol panache. I challenge you to be in a bad mood after listening to this number a few times. I also challenge you to convince me you don't already know the words... at least to the chorus.
This song is featured in some tv commercial right now, but I still won't get sick of it.
I also have to give honorable mentions to these other tracks by the Pre-Fab Four: "Pleasant Valley Sunday," "She Hangs Out" (again with Davy on lead vocals) and "The Porpoise Song."

Watch this space for more volumes of Music That's Making Me Happy. You may agree, disagree... or even give the spotlighted melodies a listen some time.

No comments: