Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Laziest Day Ever

That's what I had today.

I started with the best of intentions this morning. I was going to the gym. I was going to shower my apartment with what it desperately needs: a thorough cleaning. I was going to take advantage of the warm, if slightly muggy, weather and take a long walk across the City.

None of that happened, but I did a very good job of polishing my napping skills. They were rusty and demanded my immediate attention.

Not that the day was a total loss. I did manage to go for a run, do a little grocery shopping and strip my couch cushions of their slip covers so I could drop said covers off at the cleaners. My couch is off-white, and a good scrub for the slip covers had become quite necessary. I also wrote my little neighborhood newspaper column, which isn't even due until Friday. But other than that, it was a day to watch time go by while relaxation ran the show. And I'd say it was worth it. The gym will still be there tomorrow, and my apartment will still need to be cleaned. I was even supposed to meet Mollena at Amnesia for a little live music tonight, but I never heard from her, so here I sit in my pajamas, sipping Chimay and watching That Thing You Do!. Amnesia with Mollena would have been fun, but I'll "settle" for one of my favorite movies paired with one of my favorite beers, thanks very much.

I also got a call today from Schleevin, who told me his apartment in New York has been overrun with bed bugs. He said he went to bed one night and awoke the next morning looking like a giant pustule. His words, not mine. He was delivering this bit of news because I am theoretically staying with him when I go to New York next month. Or perhaps not. Poor Schleevin, 2006 simply has not been his year.

I'll make up for my day of sloth later this week. Not only does my work week kick off on Friday, but I have a lot of socializing to do. I believe Helen and I are going out tomorrow night; I'm having drinks with Wendy and going to Jack's photo show Friday night; and Saturday into Sunday is Daryl's 24-hour going away party. Just thinking about all that makes me want to take another nap.

No comments: