Sunday, April 06, 2008

Fancy Parties and Candy

I wish my life consisted of nothing but the above.

Okay, not really. But sort of. Well, last week I did my best to dabble in both, as I attended a fancy party and checked out the new Candy Bar.

The fancy party was a preview reception on Wednesday for the San Francisco Symphony's Black and White Ball. Have you ever been to the Black and White Ball? That is one super fancy party, and it is ridiculously fun. Sometimes certain parts of the affair can be overly crowded, and they seemed to run out of food at the Ball a few years ago, but I believe those kinks have been worked out. To that end, I am very much looking forward to this year's Ball. It can get kind of cold, too, given that much of the party happens outside, but that never bothers me too much.

Denise came with me to the preview reception, which in and of itself, wasn't all that fancy. However, we did enjoy the free cocktails and sparkling wine, as well as some free snacks. That's pretty much fancy enough for me. I think we had more cocktails than snacks, though. At least I know I did because I definitely needed the Thai food we found for dinner in the Mission after the party.

I think I'm becoming kind of a lightweight in my old age.

The following evening Kara and I went to Candy Bar, a new wine and dessert bar on Fulton Street. While there is no actual candy to be found at Candy Bar, I tried the dessert tasting menu and was very satisfied. Kara stayed healthy and had savory snacks, like asparagus and hard boiled eggs. They were also yummy. We didn't try any of Candy Bar's wine, sipping sparkling water instead, but the wine did look delicious. I guess I'll just have to go back.

Tonight I'm meeting Joey at Thirsty Bear for a flamenco show. Yes, you read that correctly. I'll let you know how that works out for us. I definitely am looking forward to the small plates and micro-brews.

Oh, one more thing: is it a problem that I had a dream that the boy I kissed last weekend is gay? Okay, probably. Now, I'm certain this gentleman is not gay, but the dream likely was my subconscious reminding me that, for a couple of reasons, he may not be the most appropriate match for me. But he was so pretty... just so, so pretty. And a very nice guy, too. Ah, well. Dreaming he was gay may have been a little wrong, but the real life kissing was very right.

No comments: