Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Little Things

Sometimes little things make me very happy.

Case in point: hearing "Echo Beach" by Martha and the Muffins on my gym's sound system yesterday. I don't know who is in charge of the music at my fancy workout den or what satellite system they subscribe to, but when I hear a little New Wave ditty like that as I'm doing ab exercises, it makes me feel like all is right with the world.

Unfortunately, my music high was cut short when I later heard Men at Work and Greg Kihn's "Jeopardy." Ick. But all was okay again when the Go-Go's "Our Lips Are Sealed" wafted through the space surrounding the free weights, cardio machines and fitness addicts. While I'm always armed with an iPod full of my own song choices when I work out, it's still nice to see (or hear) the whole gym filled with good music taste.

Again, sometimes it's just the little things.

In just a few minutes the Olympic Torch relay will begin in San Francisco, and I was going to walk down to the Embarcadero to check it out. I've seen the Olympic Torch in person once before, when the relay took it right by my house in Pasadena for the 1984 Los Angeles Summer Games. However, between the protests and general hoopla this time around, I think I'm all "torched" out. So even though it will be happening only a couple of miles away, I'm going to watch the beginning of the relay on television and then head out for my own run. In the opposite direction of the torch.

And then tonight, I sing! Three jingle jangle pop songs, one open jam in the Mission and no waiting. Yay!

No comments: