Sunday, August 21, 2011

Los Angeles a Go Go, part one

I returned for my little jaunt to L.A. this afternoon, and I already miss the Southland. As much as love San Francisco (and as much as what I'm about to say probably disturbs many of my Bay Area friends), my heart remains in Los Angeles. I grew up in Pasadena, and the area always will be home to me. I took a lot of pictures during this mini-vacation. Some are better than others, but I've decided to post the ones deemed blog-worthy in two parts. Otherwise, this would be one massively long post. So here is part one. Enjoy!

The Go-Go's
As I mentioned in my last post, I went down to L.A. to see the Go-Go's perform at the Greek Theatre. In addition to the show, I also took a trip to Hollywood Boulevard to visit their star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame because...well, why wouldn't I?

The band is in this shot somewhere. What an excellent show.


Hollywood Boulevard at Cherokee Avenue: the intersection where the Go-Go's star is located. I have a love affair with Hollywood Boulevard. Its seedy tourist trap existence positively delights me.


South Pasadena Farmers Market
If I'm in Southern California on a Thursday afternoon/evening, I make a point to visit the South Pasadena farmers market. I'm not really a farmers market person, per se, but the South Pasadena farmers market is a true community event. It is everything that is good about suburbia, and I love it. It doesn't hurt that it happens mere blocks from my brother Michael's house. So on Thursday my sister Patti and I took my nephew Mikey Jet and his friend Soon Mi to the farmers market before hitting a nearby park. Thankfully, my sister-in-law Maki joined us before too long. Mikey is a doll, but I always prefer it when the parents of small children are nearby.

The famed Mikey Jet and Soon Mi donning elaborate balloon creations I purchased for them. About five minutes before we saw the balloon man, they had been talking about cotton candy. So frankly, I think I got off easy just buying balloons.

Some of the farmers market entertainment. The kids were able to join this guy on percussion.


Tiki Ti
The best bar in L.A., hands down. I try to go there every time I visit, and this time around, I stopped in for a couple of cocktails after enjoying ground beef and pickle tacos at Malo Cantina and Taqueria down the street. Much yumminess all the way around.





More photos are coming, including several taken inside the Los Feliz mansion where I attended a party Friday night and a few from the free Dave Wakeling and English Beat show in Pershing Square downtown on Saturday night. Stay tuned...

No comments: