Wednesday, August 03, 2011

What's On Your Mind

Good afternoon, gentle readers. It's been mellow couple of days in the land of All Things Sassy, so I'll just share a few things that have been on my mind lately. I know you've been wondering.

Hawaii.
My next trip to Hawaii is coming up in about a month, and I am so excited. We're getting our hotel accommodations taken care of right now, thanks to my friend Andrey (he's a travel agent). In the meantime, I'm counting the days until I find myself back on the lusciously warm beaches of Honolulu.

Songs to try in karaoke.
My band, Sober Nixon, is on a tiny summer hiatus due to vacations, so my singing energy has been focused on training and karaoke. It helps that I've made a lot of friends at my favorite karaoke den. These days I'm averaging two nights a week there singing songs, and I've been loving every minute of it. I just learned "Mercy" by Duffy, which sits perfectly in my range. I still have to practice it a bit more, but it's almost like I was destined to sing it and songs like it. I'm also going to learn Dusty Springfield's "Son of  A Preacher Man," "My Life Would Suck Without You" by Kelly Clarkson and "I'll Follow The Sun" for the monthly Beatles sing along event I attend. I already am familiar with all of these songs, especially the Beatles ditty, but I need to practice singing them. Yes, I practice the songs that I sing in karaoke before I try them in front of an audience. That's probably breaking some sort of unspoken karaoke rule, but since I'm also investing in voice lessons to learn to sing properly, I give myself a free pass.

Self esteem.
All those people who say that self esteem improves as we age are so right. In the year and a half since I turned 40, I have been riding a wave of sky high self confidence. I still get insecure here and there, but I feel so much better about myself than I ever have. I'd like to believe this means that I won't put up with any more crap from stinky boys, but let's not get crazy here. Regardless, I feel great, and those boys all still smell bad.

So these are the things I've been thinking about lately. Exciting, huh? I do have a rather full weekend ahead of me. I just found out that Gry, an old friend from my acting days, is in town, so we're going to get together on Friday evening to catch up. Then Saturday is Connie's baby shower, as well as Kevin's birthday and Sam's birthday (I may or may not be celebrating the birthdays that day). And finally on Sunday is Megan's barbecue. After all of that, I likely will need a weekend from my weekend.

No comments: