Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Los Angeles a Go Go, part two

As promised, gentle readers, here is part two of my photographic chronicle of my recent trip to the City of Angels. I hope you enjoy the photos as much as I enjoyed my visit.

Party in a mansion
On Friday night I met my friends Emily and Randy at a mansion in Los Feliz for a birthday party. The birthday boy was an old acquaintance of Emily's from her days as a Hermosa Beach denizen, and he opened his home to us and... well, many others. The house was positively amazing, with both Emily and Randy commenting that it looked like something out of Sunset Boulevard.

The view from one of the host mansion's several balconies.



Me and Emily ready for our close up.


The front doors. They aren't green; that's just the way my camera picked up the party light.

That lamp light wasn't green, either. It's a cool effect, though.



Dusty's in Silver Lake
Dusty's Bistro currently is my favorite place to have brunch in L.A. They have several different varieties of mimosas (the strawberry-orange being the most popular), and they are not at all stingy with their portions. Plus, I think it might be owned or managed by someone my age because there always is great 80's new wave/alternative pouring out of the sound system. On this visit I had the pleasure of dining to the sounds of Roxy Music, OMD, Echo and the Bunnymen and Simple Minds. On a previous visit I heard Flesh For Lulu. Seriously.





Dave Wakeling and the English Beat at Pershing Square
An English Beat show always is a good time, even if the band is just original singer/guitarist Dave Wakeling with some musicians he's hired. They played a free show in downtown L.A.'s Pershing Square on Saturday night, and it was a delight to see them and enjoy free music on a Los Angeles summer night. It also was a treat to do something like that downtown, which was regarded as more or less a wasteland after dark when I was growing up in Pasadena.

Whatever song they're playing here, you can rest assured it was awesome.

Just a portion of the crowd.

The architecture downtown is gorgeous.

No comments: