Saturday, May 20, 2006

Birthdays, Baseball and Music That's Making Me Happy Today, vol 13

A few tidbits from the Land of Sassy this evening:

Yesterday was my friend Tom's 34th birthday, so the troops gathered for cocktails and frivolity to honor the day he was born. Now, Tom is notorious for planning his birthday celebration at the very last minute, but after more than nine years of friendship, I am on to him. Knowing his big day was approaching, I specifically had reserved the evening for whatever he would put together. And wouldn't you know it, Thursday night came along and my in-box was graced with an email from Tom informing me of the plan. Regardless of the late notice, the party sure was fun. And Tom's roommates Chris and Nick (who is also Tom's brother) made him an ooey-gooey birthday cake that tasted like a strawberry milkshake. Not bad for a couple of boys who wear their lack of cooking expertise as a badge of honor.

Do you know what's a good song? "The Happening" by The Supremes. In case you don't know, it was the title track from a 1967 film of the same name. The movie is supposedly horrible, but the song certainly isn't. The songwriting team of Holland-Dozier-Holland crafted quite the perfect little 60's pop tune in this number. If I ever form a girl group, we are definitely going to cover it. You know what else is a good song? "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher" by the great Jackie Wilson. I just downloaded that one from iTunes. This morning I listened to "The Happening" over and over for the first half of my run, and I imagine "Higher and Higher" will get similar treatment. (For the record, the only song thus far whose repeated playing has propelled me through my entire four-mile endorphin route is "Here Comes Your Man" by the Pixies. I'll let you know if/when that changes.)

Barry Bonds hit his 714th career home run this afternoon and has tied Babe Ruth's tally. I think that's neat. Mike Matheny also hit a home run today and helped the Giants beat the A's 4 to 2. But no one will ever remember that home run. Sorry, Mike.

Tonight I've been invited to Ben's birthday party, Eric's birthday party and another party my friend Wendy, whom I haven't seen in months because she has been in India, is attending. There are also two live music shows I'd like to see. How ever will a girl choose? Well, I won't have to because I have to be at work at 4:00 tomorrow morning. That's right, 4:00 a.m. Eric tried to talk me into going to his party anyway and just staying up all night. Maybe ten years ago I would have considered that, but now this girl needs her rest. So happy birthday, fellows. Wendy, I'll catch up with you another time. And I'll just have faith the bands I want to see tonight will play again soon. And tomorrow morning I'll have to miss Bay to Breakers, San Francisco's most fun street party dressed up like a foot race. But at least I'll get to talk about it a lot at work. Plus, I am greatly consoled by the fact that I am already in my pajamas, and I will soon nestle into my couch while cocooned in a fuzzy blanket.

It's a very good life, believe me.

No comments: