Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Friendship Therapy

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my friends? I love them as much as music and good acting, and in my world, that is very high praise.

On Sunday I went to Tom, Chris and Nick's annual Memorial Day barbecue. I have gone to this party every year of its existence, and much like fine wine, it gets better and better with age. These fellows are very popular, so there were about a bazillion people there this year. Above is a photo of myself with Emily, Erin and Jack enjoying the festivities alongside Chris, one of our hosts, who graciously agreed to pose with us. Between the drinks, delicious snacks, Dance-Dance Revolution and seat of your pants good times, this was party not to be missed.

My friend Gry is also in town. I met Gry in an acting class back in 1998, and we have been good friends ever since. She moved to New York in 2001 and then to Denmark in 2003, but that doesn't stop her from paying a visit to her San Francisco stomping ground every once in a while. Back in the day, Gry and I had a standing Wednesday evening happy hour at Casanova, so that's where we met tonight, even though it's Tuesday. Much like many a Wednesday of yore, we fell into a pattern of good drink and even better conversation. It doesn't hurt that Casanova has a free jukebox which I loaded with The Jam, The Beau Brummels and early Who this evening. I will admit that I've been feeling a little low lately, but tonight any feelings of dejection completely melted away in the red light and vinyl couches of the fabulous Casanova. Who needs therapy when you have Gry, a good cocktail and "Beat Surrender" playing in the background?

And if a long weekend barbecue and bonding time with Gry were not enough, tomorrow I will be seeing one of my favorite friends in the whole world. Schleevin and I have known each other for almost 25 years (damn, we're old), and we are going to get together for snacks and cocktails when I jaunt down to Southern California to meet Nephew Sassy. Schleevin is wonderful and talented and super-neat, and I absolutely can't wait to see him!

Honestly, can a girl ask for any more happiness in life?

No comments: