Thursday, May 25, 2006

My American Idol: Music That's Making Me Happy Today, vol 14

John Doe and various others crooning (and screaming) Replacements tunes at 12 Galaxies

So apparently the season finale of that show was on last night, and I've heard talk that some guy named Taylor or Tyler or Tiny won. I wouldn't actually know for sure because I've never seen that insipid boob tube phenomenon, but last night I got the chance to see one of my own musical idols up close.

Ann Marie, Adam and I started the evening at the Make Out Room to see Pat Johnson, a rather talented musician I know. After Pat's set, we scooched around the corner and met Tom at 12 Galaxies for a Replacements tribute show which featured, among the many performers, none other than John Doe. The extraordinary John Doe in a Replacements tribute show. I actually interviewed Paul Westerberg about 15 years ago, and I wish I had been psychic because it would have been fabulous to ask him how it feels to have John Doe pay homage to him in a small San Francisco club

But I'm not psychic, and Paul Westerberg wasn't there last night, anyway. I can, however, tell you how it felt for me to see a rockstar mainstay of my formative years stand mere feet before me strumming his acoustic guitar. It felt a little bit like auditory heaven. Ann Marie and I were slightly disappointed that John only sang three songs, but the other performers (including the aforementioned Pat Johnson, who also played this show in addition to his Make Out Room gig) were all good, too.

All in all, not a bad way to spend a Wednesday evening.

No comments: