Thursday, March 06, 2008

Narcissus Would Be Proud

I am so wrong.

I have a little side job writing this Cool-Things-About-Town column for a neighborhood newspaper. I don't get paid for this "job," but it's only a monthly paper and writing the column is pretty fun. Anyway, I picked up a copy of the March issue yesterday and immediately turned to my own column. And that's when I found myself laughing out loud and delighting in my own cleverness. For several minutes.

I now officially have no retort if someone calls me self involved.

That said, do you know who is not wrong? Paula West. Terry and I went to see her at the new Rrazz Room last night, and she was awesome. As always. In addition to the jazz standards that usually comprise her set, she treated us to cabaret arrangements of Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice," The Beach Boys' "God Only Knows" and The Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want." I guess Paula is a classic rock fan as well as a jazz aficionado.

Paula West is the kind of singer I could only be in my dreams.

No comments: