Wednesday, January 10, 2007

January Ennui

Have I mentioned recently that January is the longest and most boring month of the year?

That's kind of a trick question because I know that I have, but man, this particular January is really long. It's only the 10th, and I feel like it's been three months already. Cold temperatures, short days, the rainy season. I mean no disrespect, dear January, but you are dismally tiresome.

So let's focus on something to look forward to. I'm planning to go back to Hawaii to visit Diva Mommy at the end of March. I just have to secure the vacation time and make sure I can afford it, but the planning should begin now. Okay, the thought of Hawaii has perked me up a little bit. I'm also going to see Stella at the SF Sketchfest with Paul, Denise and Ann Marie tomorrow, and I'm thinking of seeing my friend Carolyn's play on Friday. Those events should both be really fun. Okay, maybe January isn't so bad. No, it is... but even boring months have some highlights.

To amuse myself and hopefully you, I'm going to do a little "meme" I borrowed from Terry. A meme is some sort of blogger game, and this one involves music. You put your iPod on shuffle and each song that randomly comes up represents a certain part of the film version of your life. And if you read my last post, you know that the film version of my life will star either Gloria Ruben, Lauren Graham or Sonia Braga in the title role. Or some genetic combination of all three; now that actress really would look like me.

Anyway... here comes the iPod meme to create the Sassy film soundtrack. I'm cutting the number of categories because sometimes these memes can go on forever. Brevity is likely better.

Opening Credits: "Los Angeles" by X. Very appropriate, considering I grew up in Los Angeles. Well, Pasadena, but same difference.

Falling In Love: "We Are Each Other" by The Beautiful South. A song about a couple so close they border on dysfunction. Or perhaps they sprint across that border. I don't think I've had this relationship yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't on the horizon.

Fight Song: "Baby, Oh, No" by Bow Wow Wow. Well, this song is really about a girl's insecurity in the midst of a crush she has, but fights are often fueled by insecurity. So okay. And I have felt this particular brand of insecurity many, many times in my day.

Break Up Song: "Magic" by Olivia Newton John. Well, I think just about any guy would immediately break up with me once he found out that this song is even in my iPod. It's a guilty pleasure, and one of the first 45's I ever bought back in the day. That would be 1980. So please don't hold it against me.

Mental Breakdown: "Only the Lonely" by The Motels. Loneliness could make anyone crazy, so that one fits.

Flashbacks: "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" by The Beatles. This song works on a couple of levels. Not only could it bounce happily through a flashback film sequence, but it reminds me of many a childhood glory day singing along with The White Album either at home or at my friend Gabriella's house.

Happy Dance: "The Happening" by The Supremes. Oh, hell yes. This is my favorite kind of song: upbeat music paired with downer lyrics (the song is about getting dumped). That kind of dichotomy actually does inspire a happy dance in me. And on the occasions I have been dumped, it generally has been by some loser guy I shouldn't have wasted my time with in the first place. So that is happy.

Final Battle: "Eleanor Rigby" by The Beatles. Well, maybe not a battle song, per se, but Eleanor does end up dead in the end. Not to mention one of the best Beatles songs ever.

Death Scene: "There She Goes" by the La's. I've heard this song is actually about heroin, but the lines "She calls my name, pulls my train/No one else could heal my pain/And I just can't contain/This feeling that remains" would fit in a death scene.

Final Credits: "Alex Chilton" by The Replacements. Well, this song certainly would be better for the Alex Chilton bio pic, but I'd be okay with the lyrics "Children by the millions scream for Alex Chilton when he comes 'round" playing during the final credits of my film.

Hmmm... that was kind of a fun little game. And some of those random songs are eerily appropriate.

Okay, I'm away to brave the cold air as I make my way to a Brown alumni event. Those are usually pretty dull, but perhaps this one will be interesting. It can't possibly be more boring than the month of January, overall.

1 comment:

terry said...

The Motels! you just reminded me of something I need on my iPod...