Monday, January 01, 2007

Toasting Twenty-Oh-Seven With Talent

Happy New Year!!! I hope you had a wonderful holiday.

I had the best time at Beth and Eli's New Year's Eve party and talent show. I knew it would be fun, but it turned out to be one of the greatest parties I have attended in a long time. Jack, Jason and I escaped the madness of San Francisco and arrived at Beth and Eli's place in Berkeley at about 9:00. There were drinks and a veritable mountain of delicious snacks to tide us over until the talent show began at about 10. Acts in the show ran the gamut of talents. One woman sang; another drew a picture with her foot; and a third told the tale of visiting her father at his trailer park in Arizona while her talent show partner riffed on his guitar. There was also a puppet show, magic, a trio lipsyncing to some Queen song and another guy playing the guitar that came with Beth and Eli's new car. Yes, their car really did come with a guitar, and the guy played it while it was plugged into the car for electricity.

If you're confused by that, I'm afraid I can't help you. You'll have to ask Volkswagen for an explanation.

Don't think for a moment that this writer and her friends just sat on the sidelines while all this was going on; both Jack and I participated in the talent show, as well. What I did was basically just a variation of my job, but it was well received. Jack made a tremendous contribution, though: he danced like a White man. When I told my friend Jane about it this afternoon, she immediately assumed that Jack is not Caucasian. In fact, he is, which is probably why he was able to bring such a level of expertise to his display. Jason took a photo of Jack in action, which I'd post if I had it, but unfortunately, I don't. So you'll have to use your imagination on that one.

The parties and holidays all over, it is now January, the most boring month of the year. But I always feel a little optimistic at the beginning of a new year, and 2007 is no different. I'm even thinking about a couple of resolutions, even though I'm not very good at them. Last year my only resolution was to visit the spa at least once a month, and after January I didn't go back until July. If I can't even keep a commitment to go to the spa, I'm clearly not the resolution type.

Nonetheless, I'm going to give it a whirl.

First, I intend to stop the gluttony. I am hardly fat, and to say I want to lose weight would be really cliche. But I have been overindulging in the food department for... oh, the last year and a half or so. And believe me, while, again, I'm hardly fat, the gluttony definitely shows. I have good exercise habits, and my eating should match them. I will have to start this particular resolution after today, however, because we ordered pizza at work, and I ate two huge pieces, even though I was pretty much full after one.

Huh. We'll see how I do on that one.

Second, after the super fun experience of the fake band, I want to make sure I keep some kind of creative outlet in my life. With all the drama that has surfaced recently, who knows how long the fake band will last, but even if (when?) we implode, I want to keep singing. If you can call it that, anyway. Or perhaps I'll revisit the acting world. I just want to do something creative. The fake band has reminded me that there is much more to life than work and cocktailing.

And finally, I'm going to break some patterns I have that keep me from reaching my full fabulousness potential. That's a bold statement, I know, but I'll bet you I succeed in this one. If nothing else, it will likely be easier than eating less...

And of course, since I didn't do such a good job with my spa resolution last year, I'll have to continue that one. I think that goes without saying.

No comments: