Sunday, February 18, 2007

Fancy and Official

A few days ago, I got an email from a senior at Brown asking if she could interview me for a class project. I suppose it's no surprise that she found me, as I keep my contact info current in the alumni directory. But I was both flattered and a little embarrassed that she had chosen me. As I may have mentioned before, I engaged in a mild career shift a couple of years ago. I work in the same industry but in a slightly different type of job. The Brown student was looking for information on the specific job I have now, so I would have to tell her I have limited experience with it.

That's no big deal, really, so I agreed to the interview. And I have to admit, I felt a little fancy and official, being asked to talk about my career. But then I wondered why she wouldn't want to interview someone older, more seasoned, perhaps, dare I say, even wiser than me? I am, after all, still a spirited, passionate youth. Then I remembered what I thought of 37-year olds when I was in college. Hell, I remember what I thought of 30-year olds. Those were, in my head, real adults with real lives. They had been out of college for years with one foot possibly in the grave already.

I am practically a senior citizen compared to this woman.

That realization didn't stop me from answering her questions, though, and I hope her project turns out nicely. As a matter of coincidence, I was looking at some old photos today and found myself seriously wishing I could be in college again. I entertained thoughts like, "If I knew then what I know now..." and "It all went so quickly; I should have taken more time to enjoy it...". And so on and so forth.

Ah, well, at least I have a reunion coming up in May. Then I can get really nostalgic and subject you to Brown stories all over this space. Something to look forward to, huh?

No comments: