Monday, February 26, 2007

Marathon Woman

The world called in sick at my job today.

That probably comes as no huge surprise. It is late February, and many workplaces experience mini-epidemics once one person falls ill. However, there are many positions at my job that cannot go unfilled. So if the people who normally do them call in sick, they must be replaced. There simply are no other options.

To that end, one particular woman called in sick, but so did the woman who normally replaces her. Two other candidates to fill this woman's shoes were also unable to join us this morning. So in what can only be described as a fit of insanity, I volunteered to step in. What made my offer insane is that this woman's shift starts at 4 a.m. My own shift ended last night at 1 a.m.

That's right, I had a whopping three hours off between shifts.

It's really not that big a deal. I took a little nap at work instead of going home, and I was ready to roll at 4 o'clock. I did learn that the floor at work is a much colder sleeping place than my bed at home, but I don't hold that against it. I have been working in my 24-hour industry for 15 years now. So I'm used to occasionally crazy schedules, and it was actually pretty fun to run my little work marathon. When all was said and done, I had worked from 5 p.m. on Sunday afternoon until 10 a.m. on Monday morning, with just a short three hour break.

Good times, my friends. Just call me Marathon Woman.

Anyway, since 10 o'clock this morning, I have pretty much lived in my pajamas... with the exception of a very brief run I took this evening. You know what? Running is harder and not nearly as rewarding when you've had very little sleep. So I'm a little punch drunk right now. Oooh, but guess what? We just had the coolest little hail storm. Sure, I think it was cool because I'm safe and warm in my little apartment. But it was neato; it looks like it snowed outside.

By the way, Fake Band has succeeded in annoying me again. So the high from Friday's show is officially over. Two and a half days that happiness lasted. Actually, that's not bad for this band. Lordy, some of those boys are beyond irritating. As my brother, who has been a musician for about 20 years, just said to me: you're seeing all frustrations of being in a band without any of the successes. He couldn't be more right.

Okay, off to bed.

No comments: