Thursday, April 12, 2007

Rock Stars, Rock Stars Everywhere

Yesterday was one fascinating day. For pretty much the entire morning and afternoon I was super crabby due a stinky situation that has recently reared its ugly head in my life. It's no big deal, really, but it was leaving me stuck in a mildly foul mood.

Well, all the stink melted away at about 6:30 when I arrived South of Market to see Daydrinker (also known as Higgins) play at Brainwash. Do you know Brainwash? It's a laundromat, cafe, live music venue combo. Practical and entertaining. Higgins' wife and my dear friend Jayn was, of course, there, as well as many other fun people, including Roland, who was my absolute favorite San Francisco radio DJ when I first moved here. He's no longer on the air, but I still regard him as one of my idols. I also got to meet Sean and Lisa, Higgins and Jayn's neighbors, who promptly described themselves as the most interesting people ever. After talking to them for a little while, I can't say they were too far off the mark.

Daydrinker's set was fabulous, of course. Plus, afterward, Higgins and I talked about the possibility of me singing with him. I'm not sure I'm good enough to be a fellow Daydrinker, as I have only been taking voice lessons for about four months, but we'll see. That would be super fun, if it works out. If you're interested, you can find out more about Daydrinker here.

After Daydrinker's nighttime set, I wandered across the street to meet Sheela for a cocktail at Julie's Supper Club. Well, who knew that Julie's Supper Club has karaoke every Wednesday night? Apparently not many people, because there was hardly anyone in the joint. Sheela sang two songs, her husband Ben sang one after he arrived later in the evening, and I sang four! I wailed my way through "Love Will Keep Us Together" (my standard karaoke number), "Vacation," "Someday, Someway" and "You Can't Hurry Love" with the charisma and poise of the greatest of rock stars. Sheela and I have both decided that we will likely become Wednesday night regulars at Julie's.

Then today, I began my little acting job and after that did some real singing during my voice lesson with Best Friend. We're going to wrap up Kirsty MacColl's "They Don't Know" next week and then likely start working on Keane's "Somewhere Only We Know."

Can you tell that I really wish I was a rock star? It's a good thing Fake Band is playing this weekend...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you do know that I karaoke'd "You Can't Hurry Love" at the medical school talent show, right? It was my choice and I made others go along. We had dance moves that I had choreographed. Oh, perhaps it wasn't karaoke and it was lip synching instead. And I can't believe the Captain and Tenille is a standard karaoke song of yours unless someone else did "Love Will Keep Us Together" before them or you're talking about a different song altogether. I've never done karaoke (believe it or not), but I bet I'd love it!