Saturday, April 14, 2007

Two Songs, No Waiting

So today ended up being a slightly disappointing day for me.

Imagine your Fake Band was invited to play an event where Bill Clinton was the keynote speaker. And imagine you were going to get to meet Bill Clinton, as well as sing in your Fake Band. And finally, imagine that this was likely to be your swan song with Fake Band, so you were really going to go out with a bang. Well, that is what lay in store for me when I got up this morning.

Except that things didn't go quite as planned.

Now, Fake Band did play said event. We played two songs before Bill Clinton spoke, and above is a photo of me in all my sassy glory during that mini-set. Kind of cool, huh? We were then supposed to play another ten songs after Bill's speech, but due to circumstances beyond everyone's control, the timing was all off, and our second set was cut. Well, what are you going to do, right? We'd still get to meet him, which would be very cool.

Except for the fact that this was a work event, so I had other obligations and was tending to them when Bill was finally ready to meet us. However, here is a photo of the rest of the Fake Band boys with the Former President... just so you know he was really there. You can imagine me photo-shopped in this picture, I suppose.

Ah, well. I'm disappointed, but again, what are you going to do?

After the work event, I went to Jelly's, a bar behind AT&T Park, for my friend Nikki's birthday party. I haven't seen Nikki in forever, so it was very nice to catch up with her a bit as I wished her the happiest of birthdays. My friend Debbie was also there, and I went with her, her boyfriend and another friend of theirs to Puerto Allegre for snacks and drinks after the party. Then I met Emily and her fiance in Hayes Valley.

It was in Hayes Valley that I got the news: Don Ho has died!

You might wonder why, aside from general human compassion, I would care about such an event. After all, Don Ho is not a close, personal friend. Well, remember dear readers, that I took in Mr. Ho's Waikiki Review when I was in Hawaii merely three weeks ago. Just three weeks ago. Little did I know it would be one of his last performances.

This makes me want to head back to Waikiki so I may mourn properly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so is it the guy who cheated on his wife or the guy who died who has your respect? Just wondering.