Saturday, April 09, 2011

Mini Reunion

My old, dear friend Traci was in town for business this week, so of course we had to get together and did just that last night.

Traci is a friend of mine from college. Sort of. I say "sort of" because technically, I went to college not with her, but with her boyfriend Bert, who would later become her husband (and now her ex, unfortunately). But Traci went to the University of Rhode Island, just a hop, skip and a jump from Brown, and when she and I met in 1991, we became instant friends.

After I graduated from Brown, I stayed in Rhode Island for a few years to begin my career. Traci, meanwhile, was finishing her undergraduate education and working as a nanny for a Rhode Island state senator, which I thought was very fancy. Those few years between my graduation and hers (after which she moved to Boston for a year and then attended grad school at Cambridge) afforded us lots of opportunities to go out and engage in all kinds of twenty-something debauchery. To be clear, our brand of debauchery probably was scandalous only to us and not objectively all that exciting. At the end of the day, we were very good girls... who may have done more than a few kamikaze and Jagermeister shots but not much else.

That brings Traci and me to our forty-something present, and last night we met for a delicious dinner at Amber India before retiring to the Burritt Room for cocktails. We talked about all sorts of things throughout the evening: dating, family, education, whatever. And of course, we did a lot of reminiscing about our salad days in Rhode Island and did our best to recreate those days by having more than a few cocktails. I think I drank more last night than I usually do in an entire week. However, I'm a major lightweight, so that's not really saying much.

Traci is coming back to town for work in July, and I all can say is that I can't wait to engage in even more of our good girl brand of debauchery.

The Burritt Room "Not Tonight" cocktail. So delicious.

Traci and me.

A few cocktails in, we moved on to "Cuzco Flowers." Dim mood lighting provided by the Burritt Room after midnight.

No comments: