Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Tids and Bits

While life continues to bubble along quite nicely here by the Bay, I have no earth shattering tales to tell. Not that that's a bad thing. Everything is really sunshiny in my world right now, and I find myself at least a little excited about what each day will bring. That may sound cheesy, but it's true. It certainly feels better than boredom or the blues.

That said, a friend of mine from college is in town, and we plan to get together on Friday night. After her visit, I should have some silly tales and fun pictures for you, but until then, I offer a series of random tidbits to tide you over.

(photo courtesy of bananasandhats.com)

  • I love big sunglasses, the bigger the better. They make me feel like Jackie O.
  • I'm still mulling over what to sing for the Evening of Song showcase I'm performing in come June. I'm leaning toward Matthew Sweet's "I've Been Waiting," but Sober Nixon already covers that one. It's so super fun to sing, though.
  • Speaking of singing, I've expanded my karaoke repertoire a little bit. "Only the Lonely" by the Motels has become my new favorite karaoke number, and I just added "Wonder" by Natalie Merchant. I really want to try "Fame" by Irene Cara, but I'm a little scared. Cheesy songs like "Fame" are perfect for karaoke, but they can be train wrecks if you can't pull them off... either with vocal ability or showmanship. We'll see how long it takes me to get up my nerve.
  • And speaking of Sober Nixon, we may have our first gig with the new line up next week! Well, with 3/4 of the new line up, anyway. It's our bass player's birthday, and we may play a few songs, sans drums, at his birthday party. That is, if we can work it out with the new guitarist. If the new line up doesn't debut next week, worry not, we will soon.
  • Last Saturday night I had two sets of plans but was desperately craving a little ME time. So I blew all my plans off and lounged on the couch. It felt positively delicious. Except that I decided to watch Sex and the City 2 on HBO. I'd heard that movie was bad, but it was worse than I possibly could have imagined. I fell asleep during part of it because I think my subconscious was trying to save me.
  • I've broken my own read-books-in-the-order-I-buy-them rule and have let A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan jump to the head of queue. I'm about 100 pages in, and I love it. Quite unlike Sex and the City 2, this book is even better than I thought it would be. Jennifer Egan may be my new hero.
  • I have become obsessed with Greek yogurt. I've seen in the grocery store for years, but I had no idea how thick and yummy it is. Plus, it has more protein than regular yogurt. I've been eating it all week, sometimes twice a day!
So those are your Sassyland nibbles for today. Like I said, nothing earth shattering, but lots of happiness. It's a good life; I highly recommend it.

No comments: