Tuesday, July 05, 2011

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

Well, really I just wanna sing your songs.

Instead of watching fireworks, I celebrated July 4th this year by singing songs written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney (by and large). Last night was the monthly Beatles sing along I like to attend, and I wasn't going to let a national holiday honoring our country's independence from the British stop me from singing English pop songs. The sing along is like an all-Beatles piano bar. Host Joshua Raoul Brody can play any Beatles song in any key you like. Seriously. If you don't know what key you need, Joshua will take a minute to figure it out with you before you begin. I have taken advantage of that little service on more than a few occasions. If you happen to sing significantly off key, Joshua will adjust to match your pitch as best he can. I've never needed that one, myself, but I've seen it happen.

Last night I sang "Hey, Jude," which I'd never tried before, and "For No One," which is kind of a staple of mine...both transposed a step higher than the Beatles' versions. I think I might need to move "Hey Jude" up another half step or so, but I'll experiment with that either at the next Beatles sing along or at karaoke one night.

If you're a Fab Four fan and find yourself in San Francisco, I highly recommend you try to make the Beatles sing along. John, Paul, George and Ringo would be proud.

Our host Joshua and our drummer David.

Liquid courage for those who need it. Since I have no shame, alcohol isn't necessary to get me to sing.

Andrea takes her turn at the mic, as reflected in the mirror above the bar. She's a bit out of focus, but you can blame my amateur photography skills for that.

Beverage, anyone?

No comments: