Sunday, March 18, 2007

Three Days and Counting

In less than 72 hours I leave for Hawaii! Can I please tell you how excited I am? Apparently, it's been a raining a bit in Honolulu, as this is the end of the rainy season, but I don't care. Cats and dogs can fall from the sky every day I'm there, it will still be Hawaii. (Okay, maybe pouring rain wouldn't be so much fun, but I am very much looking forward to my vacation, regardless of the weather.)

I was going to go shoe shopping this afternoon for the perfect strappy sandals for my trip, but I got completely sidelined when I stumbled upon Wuthering Heights on Turner Classic Movies. I hadn't seen this movie in years, and I was immediately sucked in. It has everything: intense love, dysfunctional families and marriages, alcoholism. Were these characters real and alive today, they'd all be making appearances on "Oprah." Or, more likely, "Jerry Springer." I have to admit, I dozed off a bit in the end when Cathy died, but I knew what was coming.

My friend Mindi was in town this weekend, so yesterday she and I got together for the first rehearsal of the newly reformed Blo Pop. Well, it was a rehearsal of sorts, anyway. Mindi and I learned that we approach music in slightly different ways. She likes to get a grasp on just a few chords of a song and then jam without stopping to see what happens. I like to learn a song as its written, and once I've really got it down, tweak it to make it my own. It didn't take us long to realize these styles don't exactly go together, and we're going to have to meet in the middle. We kind of worked out part of one song and then just decided to appropriate another one I've been singing with Fake Band for the last five months.

So I'm thinking it may be quite a while before Blo Pop graces any stages near you.

No comments: