Sunday, March 20, 2011

Whiskey and Cake

Today in San Francisco, we enjoyed the calm after the storm. Or perhaps more accurately, the calm between storms. After a seemingly endless couple of days of rain, the City by the Bay dried out at about 11:30 this morning and settled on partial sunshine. It was a far cry from last night when I ventured to the Mission in a gusty downpour to meet Kevin, Valerie and the rest of the kids for Margarita Club. If you've been to Margarita Club, then you understand why wind, rain and a trek across town didn't keep me away.

We're not out of the woods yet, however, as showers are forecast off and on for pretty much the entire work week. Welcome to Spring, my friends.

On this particularly pleasant dry afternoon, I met my voice teacher Robert for a lesson, and we started our recording project. I've secured permission from my friend Pat to record his song (which I mentioned in the last post), and Robert and I began working on it today. We're in the very preliminary stages of this project and haven't actually recorded anything yet, but I am so excited!

After my lesson, I walked downtown a bit and snapped a few pictures before heading over to the Castro for my friend Roland's birthday barbecue. The party was just the right combination of festive and mellow, and the line of the afternoon was uttered by Jimmy, who proclaimed, as he wandered over to the grill: "All I've had today is whiskey and cake!" Julie and I sampled the very fancy bourbon he was sipping and understood why Jimmy had eschewed most other sustenance up to that point.

All in all, it was a fantastic day and the perfect calm between the storms.

You are here.

My mother used to take me shopping at I. Magnin in Pasadena when I was in first and second grade.

F-Market.

MUNI Metro.

Firing up the grill, literally.

Mokie seriously eyeing Julie's wine.

The view from Roland's back door.

Birthday boy Roland and a few of the party guests.

No comments: