Monday, February 20, 2006

Music That's Making Me Happy Today, vol 5, Plus My Fours

"Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane
I have loved this song since the first time I heard it in 2004, but recently it made it onto my running soundtrack. Because it's only mid-tempo, I usually skip this track if it pops up on my iPod while I'm indulging in my daily endorphin rush. But for whatever reason, I decided to let it play one day last week, and now the mere wanting in Tom Chaplin's voice as he almost wails the lines "If you have a minute why don't we go... Talk about it somewhere only we know... This can't be the end of everything... So why don't we go..." keeps my adrenaline going strong. This morning I listened to it over and over again for almost my entire run.

The Boy With the Arab Strap by Belle and Sebastian
I must admit I'm late to the party where this band is concerned. I've heard their name bandied about for years, but only recently have I decided to check out the music. They have a brand new album out, but I decided to start earlier in their career with this collection from 1998. And I love it. I'll definitely be procuring more Belle and Sebastian recordings.


And now, lest Terry think I'm a spoil-sport who wouldn't play along, I present to you my tag-mandated list of fours:

Four Jobs I've Had: Music/video store clerk, Professor's summer research assistant, Live dj at some bar in Rhode Island and Actor.
Four Movies I Can Watch Repeatedly: That Thing You Do!, Love Actually, Meet Me in St. Louis and Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
Four Places I've Lived: Pasadena, CA, Providence, RI, Glasgow, Scotland, and San Francisco.
Four TV Shows I Love: Arrested Development, The Daily Show, Gilmore Girls and My So-Called Life.
Four Places I've Vacationed: London, North Carolina, New York and Las Vegas.
Four of My Favorite Dishes: Shaking Beef at the Slanted Door, Basil Tofu from the Chinese place near work, North Beach Pizza with ground beef and fresh tomato and the Rex Salad with chicken at the Rex.
Four Sites I Visit Daily: I'm not sure I visit four websites every day.... hmmm... my email provider, a media industry website, Queen of the Dorks and All Music (okay, I only visit that last one about once a week or so).
Four Places I Would Rather Be Right Now: A warm beach, the spa, a great concert, visiting my mother in Hawaii.

So those are my fours. Now I must scoot. I'm going to see Jack's roommate perform at Blondie's and I'm tardy.

No comments: