Monday, August 07, 2006

Words of Wisdom

And now, a public service announcement brought to you by my hangover.

No matter how much energy you had for socializing in your youth (see previous post), it is not a good idea, at age 36, to work an eight-hour day on five and a half hours sleep and then go to a birthday party followed by a live music show and drink throughout both. I would have been tired had I stuck to water, juice or soda, but consuming six beers over five hours, which is a lot for me, has left me a little foggy. To say the least. It made for mildly unfocused work today, as well. The moral of the story: I am not 25 anymore. I am often reminded of that fact, but somehow it just hasn't sunk in yet.

That's the bad news. The good news is that Joey's birthday party and Pat Johnson's performance were both super-duper fun. Joey's party was small, but it was the quality of guests that made the occasion. I got a chance to talk to Emily about how she and her husband met. They had both been volunteering at a homeless shelter and spent their third date making out at the now-defunct Dr. Bombay's in the Mission. Is that not the cutest? And I got a chance to laugh with Ted, whom I generally only see at work when he is pretty focused. Nice to spend time with the away-from-work version last night.

After a few hours at Joey's, I met Tom at the Hotel Utah for Pat Johnson's show. Tom had never heard any of Pat's music, and he was duly impressed. I was completely stoked because Pat played my absolute favorite song of his: "The Very Last Time." I have gushed about it on this space before, but again I'll encourage you to hit the Wally Sound website and give this ditty a listen. I promise you'll be glad you did. Once at the site, flip through the records for The Maydays; that's the band with whom Pat recorded the song a few years ago. I was so excited when he played it. It completely made my night.

So I'd say last night's socializing was worth the hazy fatigue of today. And as I also mentioned on my last post, I will have a little forced rest for the next couple of days. I anticipate being both bored and a little annoyed after my laparoscopic procedure tomorrow. I don't believe I'll be able to exercise for several days afterward, which is bound to make me surly. As for the boredom, I expect a lot of Gilmore Girls dvd marathons over the next 72 hours.

Wish me luck!

No comments: