Thursday, August 31, 2006

Rest in Peace, R.M.S. Titanic

This afternoon Denise and I went to the Titanic exhibit at the Metreon. I have to say, it is pretty amazing. To start the tour, they give you a boarding pass replica with a brief biography of one of the ship's passengers. I got Mrs. Esther Hart, age 45, who was traveling with her husband and daughter. Her husband was moving their family to Canada to take advantage of the construction boom there. In an exercise that was both fascinating and a little creepy, at the end of the exhibit you could check to see if your passenger lived or died when the ship sank. Luckily for me, Esther survived. Denise was not so fortunate; her passenger didn't make it.

The exhibit is filled with artifacts from the ship as well as stories of some of the passengers and crew. There are also recreations of state rooms, hallways and the ship's grand staircase. Plus they have a large section from the side of the ship. Called the Big Piece, it's pretty breathtaking. There's also a smaller piece you can actually touch. I was almost afraid to touch it, thinking I had no right, in 2006, to be touching the Titanic. But after some hesitation, I touched it. Twice. The whole experience made me feel very small in the face of this tragedy from almost 100 years ago. The exhibit was supposed to close next week, but it has been extended until early January. Admission is 20 bucks, but it is well worth it.

When I was in school I hated history, now it completely mesmerizes me.

After nearly two hours aboard Titanic, I left the Metreon and did some quick shopping. Matt is getting married in just over a week, and I have decided I need a new dress for the occasion. I believe I have found one, even though I didn't buy it today. Then I scooted across town where I met Ted and his girlfriend Rachel, along with some friends of hers, at Chez Spencer. Ted is one of my friends from Brown, and I have known him for just under 18 years. Scary that we are that old. Ted and Rachel actually live in Boston, but she is in town for work, and he decided to take a brief vacation. Dinner was delicious and much fun, and Rachel's friends are really nice. The copious amounts of wine were a treat as well.

Tomorrow I have to go to work early to interview David Allen Grier. Yes, that guy from In Living Color. That's pretty much all I know about him, but I anticipate I'll learn more tomorrow.

No comments: