Sunday, September 17, 2006

Big Star, Small Party... A Typical Sassy Weekend

You want to do something fun? Go to the Jackpine Social Club's next tribute show. In May they paid tribute to the Replacements; this time around it was Big Star. What a totally fun Friday night: an entire evening of musicians playing Big Star tunes at 12 Galaxies. Well, except for the guys who played "Alex Chilton" by the Replacements, but all things considered, I'd say that was a very reasonable exception. Sadly, I missed Pat Johnson's mini set because I had to work late, but what can you do about that? I met Tom there, and Sheela soon joined us. Tom was a very good sport about the fact that Sheela and I were chatty Cathys during some of the music because we hadn't seen each other in a few months. But we did pay attention. Of course.

I had a little too much Newcastle while enjoying all that Big Star, so I was a bit tired... okay, hungover... at work on Saturday.

On Saturday night, Emily had a party to celebrate her first year of living in San Francisco. A sophisticated affair, the soiree drew a relatively small crowd to Emily's SOMA condominium, but the quality was certainly there. Helen, Super Bobby and I joined the fun around 10, and the champagne was already flowing. The evening was also a celebration of Emily's boyfriend's birthday, so we indulged in decadent German chocolate cake, too. Yum.

It's really nice to live some place that isn't boring.

No comments: