Thursday, September 14, 2006

Paradise Lost. Now, Back to Reality

At 8:00 this morning I was on Waikiki Beach taking a dip in the very warm Pacific Ocean.

Now, I am back here.

Not that here, also known as San Francisco, is a bad place. Beautiful bridges, Wine Country to the north and vibrant theatre and music scenes are just some of what San Francisco has to offer. But sorry kids, the fog-ridden City by the Bay is no Hawaii. My all-too-short vacation ended before I knew it. Now I understand why my friends looked at me like I had three heads when I said I was going to Honolulu for only four days. But what did I know? I only have so much vacation time, and because of my weird work schedule I had to take a vacation day to go to Matt's wedding last Saturday. Yeah, I know: blah, blah, blah. I won't be making such excuses next time; I'll simply be spending more time in the Aloha State.

My tropical adventures continued nicely after we last spoke. I went back to Duke's Canoe Club with Diva Mommy on Tuesday evening. It was much nicer than it had been on Sunday: mellower with a significantly lower frat boy quotient. While we were there, I took an illicit soak in the neighboring hotel's Jacuzzi spa. I'm such a rebel. On Wednesday, Fabulous Patti, Diva Mommy and I piled into the car and drove up to the North Shore. Once there, we went to Waimea Beach and grabbed a sunset dinner at Jameson's By the Sea in Haleiwa. I will say that venturing to the North Shore meant a lot of time in the car, which maybe wasn't the best idea during such a short trip. The fact that we got a little lost on the way didn't help much. But regardless, it was all nothing short of delightful. I already miss my warm morning jogs dodging the (other) tourists along Kalakaua Avenue. It was just like jogging through Fisherman's Wharf, only with much better weather.

But given that I had to come back, at least I have lots of fun planned. As always. Sheela and I are going to Bruno's, and then I think we'll meet Tom at the Big Star tribute show. Emily is having a party this weekend, and next week, I believe I will be seeing my elusive friend Debbie for the first time in almost a year. And there's also Berkeley Rep next week, too.

That's all well and fine, but at this moment, all I'm looking forward to is my next Hawaii trip. Currently I'm thinking March, 2007. Who's in?

No comments: