Thursday, September 07, 2006

Carrie Bradshaw Would Be Horrified....

... but personally, I love a bargain.

With Matt's wedding less than 48 hours away, I decided I need new shoes to go with the very lovely dress I have purchased for the occasion. The dress is burgundy, but for some reason, the black shoes I already own and thought would be perfect simply do not complement it. Luckily for me, I attended a shoe event at Macy's tonight. And I just paid my Macy's card bill, so I went with a clean financial slate.

With Gabriella in tow, I decided to indulge in the free cocktails at the event and not leave until I had found the perfect, non-black shoes. Even if it meant biting the bullet and throwing down a few hundred dollars on a designer pair. Well, six or seven pairs of shoes later, which I could only try on once the very harried salespeople actually took notice of Gabriella and me, I had found nothing. Everything was either uncomfortable or ugly. Of course I saw about a million pairs of cute black shoes, but that did not help me. I was about to give up when I remembered that Macy's has moved several shoe brands from their signature "Shoes on Two" location up to the fourth floor. The fourth floor being the junior department. In other words, the world of ghetto-ized shoes that appeal to teenagers and early-twentysomethings.

I may be 15 to 20 years too old for that floor, but it was there that I found a pair of silver, strappy Chinese Laundry heels on the sale rack. Upon trying them on, I found them to be both comfortable and cute. They don't look quite like the shoe in the above photo, but you get the picture. And as luck would have it, they were on super-duper, extra sale. The total price including tax: $18.72.

Designers be damned; give me a comfortable $20 pair of shoes any day of the week. And believe it or not, the silver shoes look far better with the burgundy dress than the black do.

No comments: