Thursday, January 20, 2011

January Birthday Spectacular

January is one of my least favorite months of the year. The weather often can be dreary; the days are still painfully short; and very little of interest tends to happen. Except for January 20th, that is. Great American presidents have been inaugurated on January 20th (as well as a few admitted duds). Plus, January 20th is the birthday of my very fine friend Chris Sams. Chris and I met twelve years ago during his very first week in San Francisco. I was a virtual City by the Bay veteran, having lived here for just over two years at that point.

Since that fateful February day in 1999, I have considered Chris to be one of my closest friends. He is brilliant, funny, talented and one of the kindest people walking the face of the earth. So needless to say, the anniversary of his birth warrants a celebration, and several of us gathered tonight to mark this auspicious occasion. Snacks in the form of Little Star pizza, drinks and excellent conversation all were part of the party. I even played pool for the first time in about a decade and did a pretty good job, even though I lost.

I managed to snap a few photos during the festivities to give you an idea of the love that surrounds Chris. I only captured a few of the many celebrants, but I believe these shots do represent the good time had by all.


Have you ever seen a more dashing birthday boy? To quote his cake: Oh, my God, yay!

Me and Kurt

Carla, Andrey and Tom

Chris and Nicky P.

Me and Drey, who looks just a bit like he's posing for the cover of a Harlequin romance

Roland and Irina expressing the unique love of their friendship

No comments: