Sunday, January 09, 2011

Notes on a Dance Party

After the horrible craziness in Arizona yesterday morning, I almost considered staying in last night and skipping the Mod Dance Party at the Burritt Room.  Almost, anyway.  In the end, I decided that sitting on my couch wasn't going to help anyone... So out dancing I went.  Here are some notes to illustrate what a top notch time was had by all.

  • A pretty dress and saucy boots: staples of my wardrobe that work perfectly for mod dancing.
  • Friends, including Valerie, Kevin, Tom, Julie, Jimmy, Roxanne and Steve, make up an awesome dance party posse.
  • Free rum and whiskey.  The first courtesy of one of the bartenders; the other paid for by Tom.
  • "Sorry" by the Easybeats and "With a Cantaloupe Girlfriend" by the Three O'Clock: my two favorite dance floor numbers of the night.
  • Dancing to a song you don't know is its own reward, but especially when Tom notices that said song has the same back beat as the Kink's "All Day and All of the Night."  Because then you can do your own mash up.
  • Dancing with Kevin to whatever song is a party in and of itself.  And he calls me a hoot.

Don't you wish you'd been there?

Anyway, moving on. Tomorrow I'm embarking on a grand adventure.  After work I intend to step out of my comfort zone.  Now, what I actually will be doing is very small and probably would inspire much eye-rolling and many questions such as: "Seriously?  Is that all?"  However, a comfort zone is a comfort zone, and extending even a toe out of it is very scary, at least for me.  So wish me luck.

Finally, I leave you with a little photo montage. It's a wee bit old, but I love it anyway. My friends Eric, Tom, Chris, Kevin, Angela and I had our way with the Knockout photo booth during my 39th birthday party, and just looking at these pictures makes me happy. I hope they at least make you grin a little bit.

No comments: