Saturday, January 01, 2011

One-One-Double One

Happy New Year, my lovies!

2011 is barely a few hours old, and the first thing I want to do is update this little chronicle. I don't know how 2010 treated you, but overall, it was pretty good to me. Until the end of year, that is.  December 9th, to be specific... when things took a decided turn for the sucky (that circle of life issue I referred to in a previous post). To be honest, the person most affected by the events of that day probably had a fairly miserable 2010, but I believe he is in a better place now.

So on to the new year for everyone. 

I must confess that I wasn't very interested in New Year's Eve this year. Usually, I feel at least a little bit of pressure to go out and do something spectacular, but this time, I seriously considered more mellow options, like staying home in my PJ's.  I have to admit, however, that I'm glad I didn't succumb to that temptation.

As it so happens, I ended up ringing in 2011 in style. My celebration began at 4 p.m. on December 31st, when I arrived at my favorite karaoke den. Three and a half hours later, I'd sung five songs and sung them all quite well. I'd like to believe that bodes well for my singing skills in the year ahead.  I also, by the way, consumed two fairly potent cocktails during that time.

After the songs had been sung, I went to a party at my friend Brad's fancy, grown up condominium. Which he owns. Like a real adult (I still proudly rent my living space). His living room offers a view of San Francisco City Hall, which still is bathed in red and green light for the holidays, as shown in the above photo.  While at Brad's place, I sipped cocktails, enjoyed snacks and chatted with his famous author friend Scott.  Okay, perhaps Scott is not famous, but he's had two novels published, and I bought one of them at Borders on Thursday evening without realizing the book I was purchasing had been written by a friend of a friend of mine.  So I was impressed.

I left Brad's at about 10 p.m. and headed across town to Olena and Kevin's party, where I intended to stay for about an hour so I could get home before midnight.  Yes, that was my intention, and no, I have no idea why.  However, within a few minutes of arriving at said soiree, I knew I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon.  Champagne was consumed, dancing was done, and cheers, hugs and kisses greeted the arrival of 2011.  I brought my camera with me, but I didn't take a single photograph.  Others did snap a few shots, however; so maybe I can nick a few off Facebook in the days to come and share them with you.

All in all, I would call my New Year's Eve a big success. Here's to hoping the rest of 2011 follows suit.

No comments: