Thursday, February 24, 2011

Beautiful Mornings


I am not a morning person. I never have been. From the time I was I child, I always have preferred sleeping late, and frankly, I think waking up to an alarm probably is a form of torture in some part of the world. Or at least it could be.

However, for the past few weeks, I really have been enjoying my mornings. I always exercise before work, but lately I've been able to enjoy longer and more productive workouts because I've been getting up about 15-30 minutes earlier than usual. I also have time to eat a little breakfast at home, which I haven't done on a regular basis in years (my reasoning had been that exercise took the place of breakfast time). Plus, I have been leaving for work a few minutes earlier, making my commute significantly less stressful than when I engaged in my previous habit of stepping out of my apartment at the last moment possible before risking being late for work.

Not only has all of this eliminated the hectic, hurry-hurry-hurry-don't-be-late aspect of my mornings, but I've been in a noticeably better mood as a result of getting up earlier. My morning happiness has been bleeding further and further into the afternoon, and I credit the longer workouts and stress-free morning routine. (Of course, the euphoria does come to an end eventually, and at that point, I generally want an afternoon nap.)

The best part of all of this is that I've found that it really isn't hard to get up a little earlier. Since I have a difficult time getting up in the morning, anyway, those extra minutes really don't make a difference. And I'll trade 15 minutes of shut-eye for an extended period of morning-induced happiness any day.


**Note: This is probably quite obvious, but I did not take either of these pictures. I found them on the Internet, thanks to Google images. Neither my photography skills nor my camera are nearly so good.**

No comments: