Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Little Bits of Happiness

Sometimes the little things in life are the ones that make us the happiest. For example, back in December, my friend Christine gave me a $25 iTunes gift card for my birthday. That's probably the best gift anyone could give me, aside from maybe a gift card for the nearest bookstore or a date with Jon Hamm.


What only cost Christine a mere 25 bucks has made me so happy over the past couple of months. I've been having the absolute best time shopping for music, both purchasing songs I hadn't heard before, like "Commit" by the Blakes (thank you, iTunes Genius recommendation), and ditties I'd forgotten about, like "Secret" and "Tesla Girls" from 80's new wave popsters OMD.


I also did a little digging and discovered Marianne Pillsbury, who not only graduated from my alma mater, Brown University, but also does an excellent cover of Prince's "When You Were Mine." With all due respect to Prince purists, I think I like this version better than the original. To be honest, I don't know any other Marianne Pillsbury music, but her Prince cover is top notch.


Other little things have put a smile on my face for the past couple of days, as well, such as learning that the Kate Spade purse I have been coveting for months currently is on sale, so I actually could afford to buy it. Happiness does not only come in the form of shopping, of course. Sober Nixon is holding a second audition with a potential guitarist tonight, and if this guy works out, that will make me giddy with joy. I had no idea finding a guitarist would be as difficult as it has proven to be, but I'm determined to have patience.

You can bet, however, that once the new Sober Nixon line up is complete, and we actually perform again, that will be one happy day.

No comments: