Tuesday, February 01, 2011

February Forward

At risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm going to repeat a sentiment I've expressed on this space many times before: January and February are my least favorite months of the year. However, before you roll your eyes in exasperated boredom and think something like, "Can't she just get over it already? January and February come every year..." hear me out. The good news about January and February is they are not infinite, and once February begins, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You see, February has the courtesy to be significantly shorter than January. Well, just three days shorter, but I'll take those three days. So it goes fast. Several of my oldest and most precious friends celebrate birthdays in February, as does my one of my sisters. There really are only two significant birthdays in my world in January. Also, right about now I start noticing that the days are getting longer. Plus, something is happening tomorrow that I'm really excited about. I don't want to jinx it yet, but believe me, I'll tell you all about it if it works out.

All of this is to say that just the fact of February's arrival usually improves my mood. A few other things I'm looking forward to now that February has begun:

Valentine's Day. I love Valentine's Day, even though I rarely have had a really significant (or memorable) boyfriend on February 14th. Perhaps that's why I love it: no pressure. Besides, I look good in red and like candy.

The Academy Awards. I unabashedly love the Academy Awards, and this year I have seen four of the ten films nominated for Best Picture. That's rare for me since I am so lazy about seeing films in the theatre or even renting them. Usually, I just wait a year or two for any given movie to be shown on HBO. I'm rooting for The King's Speech this year, but that's hardly a risky bet. (I believe I need to say at this point that the Academy Awards and Oscar image are trademarks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.)

Hawaii. I go to Hawaii twice a year: once in the spring and once in the fall. The official reason I go is to visit my mother, who lives in Honolulu, but why not enjoy the beach while I'm there? February is when I start thinking about and planning my spring trip. I even had a dream about airfares last night. Seriously. I snapped the above photo during one of my previous visits.

I had to add another photo from Hawaii because... why not?

I hope February 1st is treating your mood as nicely as it is treating mine. Enjoy the increasing minutes of daylight today!

No comments: