Friday, March 17, 2006

Greetings From Puget Sound

Here I am in at the waterfront in Steilacoom, Washington. Beautiful, isn't it? Yeah, well, it's about 48 degrees, and despite that smile on my face, I am freezing. Even though I checked the Seattle-area weather forecast before I left the Bay Area, I managed to pack nothing warm enough for the climate up here. But aside from the chill, my vacation has been positively joyous. I've gone running every morning, and yesterday Father Sassy took me out for a tour of the towns and beaches near Gig Harbor.

Oooh, and Father Sassy's house features a place as close to heaven as I will ever see while alive. It's a small room with a chair positioned right in front of a stereo and surrounded by shelves and shelves of books. The stereo has this huge amplifier that looks like something out of a 1950's science fiction movie. One of the many careers Father Sassy has had, in addition to personal trainer and poet, involved building speakers and dealing with stereo equipment, so he knows how to enjoy his music. There are also photographs of jazz musicians carefully placed throughout the room. And Father Sassy loves his reading, too. He and I have already talked authors, with him shaking his head in disbelief when I told him I don't like Zadie Smith (White Teeth was one of the most boring books I have ever tried to read). He's given me Goats by Mark Jude Poirier, and so far it is pretty good.

Imagine an entire room devoted to music and books. He is so my father.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.